by Nicholas Muhl
Averaging over 400 yards passing a game, top 5 in touchdowns thrown, only three interceptions in two wins against major non-conference opponents; Matt Johnson is flying under the radar.
According to Scott Swegan (@ScottSwegan), Assistant Director of Athletic Communications for Bowling Green State University and ESPN Statistics , BGSU Falcons quarterback Matt Johnson has accumulated some impressive numbers and accolades in his 2015 campaign, including:
- 5-time MAC East Offensive Player of the Week
- In the last two weeks he has thrown almost as many TD’s (10) as he has incompletions (11).
- Has led the Falcons on opening drive score 6/7 games.
- Through 7 weeks, the nations leading passer in yards (2891), 3rd in Touchdowns (24)
- 2-time Manning Award Star of the Week, Manning Award Midseason Watch List
- 70.5% completion percentage, 5th best passer rating (174.1)
- Led the Falcons to two wins over Big Ten opponents for the first time in school history
Some are going to accuse me of being a homer, because I do attend Bowling Green State University. However, I believe Johnson’s numbers and the game film truly speak for themselves. Here in northern Ohio, just off I-75, we are aware of the incredible talent throwing the football for our BGSU Flacons. It’s time the rest of the country is aware of him too – so let me introduce you to Matt Johnson who is a serious Heisman candidate, and one of the best quarterback prospects in the NCAA.
The “it” factor – Dino Babers coached Garoppolo (Bruce Feldman, Fox Sports)